Disability Living Allowance is money for those people who have personal care needs or difficulty with walking. DLA is gradually being replaced by Personal Independent Payment and you can only make a new claim for DLA if you’re claiming for a child under 16.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) was a tax-free benefit for disabled people who need help with mobility or care costs.

DLA has ended for people who were born after 8 April 1948 and are 16 or over.

Disability Living Allowance (for children)

You can only make a new claim for DLA if you’re claiming for a child under 16 - this is known as DLA for children.

DLA for Children is money for those children who have personal care needs or difficulty with walking.

Personal care needs mean you need help with things like eating, washing, getting dressed, going to the toilet or communicating your needs.

If you have difficulty with walking because of pain or a physical disability you are said to have “mobility needs”. This includes needing help walking outdoors because, for example, you are blind or partially sighted, deaf, suffer from epilepsy or have mental health problems that affect your ability to walk.

Full details of the criteria for applying for DLA for Children and how it works can be found at GOV.UK.

Further information is available at the following links:

You can apply for Disability Living Allowance by calling 0800 121 4600 or by textphone 0800 121 4523 and they can help you fill in the form over the phone.

Alternatively, you can download the appropriate form or apply on-line by following this link.

If you have a disabled child under 16, you can apply for DLA for Children on their behalf, as above.

If your child does qualify for DLA for Children, you may be eligible for Carer’s Allowance.

Moving from DLA to PIP (Age 16 - 64)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is gradually replacing DLA for people aged 16 to 64, even for those with an indefinite or lifetime DLA award.

Full details of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) are available at GOV.UK.

If you currently receive DLA, you will continue to do so until the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) writes to tell you about when it will end.

The letter will invite you to apply for PIP and tell you what to do next. You don't need to do anything until you get a letter.

Use this PIP checker to find out when and if you’re affected by PIP.

Full details of moving from DLA to PIP can be found at te following links:

If you found this useful please share it

Start typing and press Enter to search

Shopping Cart