Problems with your employer are usually either grievances, when you raise your concerns, problems or complaints with your employer, or disciplinaries, when your employer has concerns about your work, conduct or absence.

Resolving an Issue

If you have a problem at work, whether with the working environment or with someone you work with you should discuss your concerns with your manager or supervisor to see if you can sort out the issue informally.

You might want to seek advice before approaching your employer by contacting the Citizens Advice Bureau or other advice agency or, if you are in  a Trade Union, from your Trade Union representative.

If, having discussed the issue with your manager or supervisor you are still not satisfied, you should formally raise the issue as a Grievance. It is likely that your employer will have a formal Grievance Procedure which you must follow. If not submit full details of your  grievance or complaint in writing clearly stating the issue and any action you have taken to date to try to resolve it. The Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service, Acas, has a Code of Practice for Employees and Employers to follow and it is advisable that you follow it.

A copy of the Acas Code of Practice can be  downloaded here:

If you are in any doubt as to how to proceed you can contact the Acas Helpline at this link.

Further advice on raising a grievance can be found at Citizens Advice.

Employment Tribunal

If you are unable to sort out your problems at work with your employee, you may want to consider making an employment tribunal claim.

A detailed explanation of Employment Tribunal procedures, how to submit a claim and what might happen are available at the following links:

Settlement Agreements

If you have a complaint against your employer and you are considerating referring it to an employment tribunal, your employer might offer you a Settlement Agreement involving compensation to stop you making a claim or taking an existing claim any further.

Advice on making a settlement agreement with your employer is availbale from the following links:

Disciplinary Action and Dismissal

If you are the subject of a complaint at work or your employer has concerns about your work, they may take disciplinary action against you.

As with a grievance this might initially take the form of an informal conversation or they may commence formal Disciplinary Procedure leading to disciplinary action or, in some cases, dismissal.

Your employer must follow the Acas Code of Practice, available for download here:

For a detailed explanation of dealing with disciplinary action and dismissal at work, follow this link.

A comprehensive guide to resolving a workplace grievance can be found at GOV.UK.

Guidance on Unfair & Wrongful Dismissal

For advice on where you can seek help to resolve a workplace issue follow this link.

If you found this useful please share it

Start typing and press Enter to search

Shopping Cart