There are many things to remember when travelling outside the UK – as well as passport & visa requirements there is healthcare, currency and credit/debit card costs.

Before travelling outside the UK check the latest information on coronavirus, safety and security, entry requirements and travel warnings at GOV.UK

NHS Healthcare Abroad       

While you are abroad, you may be entitled to medical care at reduced cost or sometimes free. Your entitlement will vary based on whether you're going to a European Economic Area country (EEA) or elsewhere in the world.

The rules on travelling now the UK has left the European Union (EU) changed on January 1st 2021. Details of the changes are available at the following link:

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)

An EHIC gives you the right to access state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland. 

As a result of the BREXIT deal the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is to be slowly replaced by the UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC).

You can no longer apply for or renew an EHIC card. 

If you already have an EHIC card you do not need to apply for a GHIC card until your EHIC card expires.

More information on healthcare abroad including vaccinations, insurance and how to apply for an GHIC is available at MAG - Healthcare Abroad

Health tips for travellers going abroad

Details of simple steps you should take when travelling abroad to reduce your risk of common infections is available at this link.

Staying cool in high temperatures

High temperatures can be dangerous to your health. Find advice and tips on how to stay cool at ageUK.

Travel Insurance

Travel insurance can provide you with financial and practical help if something goes wrong on your trip.

Travel insurance could pay for lost luggage, medical bills, accidents, flight cancellations or theft.

The majority of travel insurance will cover medical bills for £1million and pay for an emergency air ambulance to bring you home for treatment.

For more information on travel insurance go to:

Medical Insurance

Most standard travel insurance policies will include some medical cover, so normally you will not need to buy a specific medical travel insurance policy. 

Travel Money

Changing sterling into euros, dollars or any other currency should be easy but there are many options to choose from to ensure that you get the best deal. 

A guide to Travel money options is available at AdviserBook.

For a comprehensive guide to obtaining foreign currency and using credit/debit cards abroad go to:

Credit Cards

Travelling with one or more credit cards is an easy and convenient option. They are convenient to pack and carry, are more secure than cash and give you a record of your purchases. 

There are a wide range of specialist cards offering a variety of other benefits.

Specialist Travel cards can give you travel-related perks such as holiday insurance discount, priority boarding, a better hotel room and late check-out.

Reward cards give you points you can then redeem against goods and services or converted into vouchers for in-store purchases and others points that can be traded for special offers in-store or days out.

Prepaid currency cards are topped up with your chosen currency enabling you to make purchases or withdraw money when you’re abroad.

But with any card be aware of any additional fees that the provider may charge.

More informations on using cards abroad is available at the following sites:

Prepaid Cards

A prepaid travel card, or 'travel money card', is a debit card that you preload with currency and use on holiday. It is not a credit card and is therefore a reliable way to stick to your holiday budget and avoid carrying a lot of cash. They can be used at cashpoints, in shops and restaurants, or anywhere that accepts Mastercard or Visa debit or credit cards up to the balance on the card.

More information on using prepaid travel cards abroad is availble at:

Lost or Stolen documents

There are steps you can take to prevent any loss or theft of importatnt documents like your passport or driving licence, as well as ways of making sure you get replacement documents as soon as possible if they are lost.

Full details are available at this link.

Using your mobile phone abroad

Since the UK left the EU the rules for charging to use your phone for calls and roaming have changed and the amount your mobile provider can charge you for using your mobile phone in EU countries, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein will depend on which mobie providers you are with.

It is tmportant that you check with your provider to see how you will be charged when you use your mobile abroad.

More information on using your mobile abroad can be found at the following lings:

If you found this useful please share it

Start typing and press Enter to search

Shopping Cart