If you’re being made redundant, you should be eligible for certain rights, including redundancy pay, a period of notice with pay, a consultation with your employer, the option to move into a different job and time off to find a new job.

If your employer needs to cut the size of the work force he can use the following methods:

  • last in, first out (employees with the shortest length of service are selected first)
  • asking for volunteers (self-selection)
  • disciplinary records
  • staff appraisal markings, skills, qualifications and experience

If your job no longer exists, your employer can make you redundant without having to follow a selection process but you can’t be selected because of age, gender, or if you’re disabled or pregnant etc.

You might be told that you are being made redundant, when in fact you have been unfairly dismissed so that your employer doesn't have to pay you compensation. You should examine the circumstances surrounding your dismissal to make sure that you are really being made redundant.

If you’re being made redundant, you should be eligible for certain basic rights, including:

  • redundancy pay
  • a notice period with pay, based on length of service
  • a consultation with your employer
  • the option to move into a different job
  • time off to find a new job

Full details of the procedures your employer must follow are available from citizensadvice.org.uk.

Full details of your Redundancy Rights, including selection, pay, notice period, consultation and alternative employment can be found at the GOV.UK site.

Further information regarding your legal rights is available at the following links:

If you believe that your employer has not followed a fair process, or you suspect you have been chosen for an unfair reason, you may be able to claim unfair dismissal at a tribunal.

For help on any aspect of redundancy you should seek the help of an experienced adviser, such as the Citizen's Advice Bureau. You can find details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by e-mail, by clicking on nearest CAB.

If you feel you’ve been treated unfairly, get advice. Don’t delay as there are very strict time limits for some courses of action.

If you are a member of a trade union, you can get help, advice and support from your Union Representative otherwise you should contact the Advisory Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS).

A guide - The Redundancy Handbook is available to at this link

A Guide to Work and Redundancy, including your legal rights when facing redundancy, can be found in the Redundancy section at AdviserBook.

If you found this useful please share it

Start typing and press Enter to search

Shopping Cart