Working Tax Credit is a payment for people who are working but are on a low income. You can receive the payment if you are over 16, work for more than a certain number of hours a week and you income is below a certain level.

Tax credits are payments from the government straight into your bank account.

There are two types – Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit. 

Working Tax Credit

Working Tax Credit is a payment for people who are working but are on a low income.

You can no longer make a new claim for Working Tax Credit unless you already get Child Tax Credit.

However you can apply for Universal Credit or, if you and your partner are State Pension age or over, Pension Credit.

For an overview of Working Tax Credit, details of eligibility, what you might receive and how to claim go to GOV.UK.

Alternatively guides to Working Tax Credit are available from citizensadvice and MoneyHelper.

The amount you receive depends on your annual income and a number of other elements – such as whether you are disabled or if you are paying for childcare.

Apply for Tax Credits

Details of how to claim Tax Credits can be found at GOV.UK.

Use the on-line calculator to get an estimate of how much you might be paid, available at GOV.UK

Renewing Your Tax Credits

If you’re claiming tax credits, you’ll be sent a renewal pack. It will tell you how to renew your tax credits.

Payments may stop if you don't renew your tax credits by the end of July every year.

More information is available at the following links:

Universal Credit

UC is currently being rolled across the UK.

Depending where you live and what your personal circumstances are, you might be able to claim UC instead of Working Tax Credit.

For a full explanation of Universal Credit follow this link.

If you found this useful please share it

Start typing and press Enter to search

Shopping Cart