If you’re a homeowner getting certain income related benefits you might be able to get help towards interest payments on your mortgage and some loans for repairs and improvements to the home

Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) helps home-owners with the costs of mortgage payments and some loans for repairs and improvements to the home when claiming certain other benefits. 

The qualifying benefits are:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Universal Credit
  • Pension Credit

Support for Mortgage Interest is paid as a loan, which you’ll need to repay with interest when you sell or transfer ownership of your home.

Full detailsof SMI, eligibility, what you might get and how to claim is available at GOV.UK.

Further information is available from:

Other financial help with housing costs

If you are about to return to work. working more hours or earnig more money and your income support or associated benefits are stopping you may be still be able to get financial help with your housing costs.

Full details are available from GOV.UK.

If you found this useful please share it

Start typing and press Enter to search

Shopping Cart