Statutory Sick Pay is money paid to you by your employer if you are sick and unable to work.

If you are employed, earning more than fixed amount each week and you become sick and unable to work, your employer pays Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) for the first 28 weeks that you are off work.

Statutory Sick Pay is a fixed amount – but you may get more if your contract of employment says you will.

SSP is treated like earnings for the purposes of income tax and forms part of your taxable income.

Part-time and agency workers and workers on a fixed-term contract are all eligible for Statutory Sick Pay. However, if you are self-employed you do not qualify and should apply for Employment and Support Allowance.

Full detais of Stautory Sick Pay including eligibility, how to claim and current rates are available at GOV.UK.

Further information on SSP is available from:

In order to be paid Statutory Sick Pay you usually have to fill in a form provided by your employer or you write them a letter explaining that you are sick. Alternatively you can download the form, fill it in and send it to your employer.

If you are still unable to work after 28 weeks then you should claim Employment and Support Allowance.

If you found this useful please share it

Start typing and press Enter to search

Shopping Cart