Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is replacing Disability Living Allowance for people aged 16 or over, but under state pension age who have extra care needs or mobility needs (difficulty getting around) as a result of a disability.

Personal care needs mean you need help with things like eating, washing, getting dressed, going to the toilet or communicating your needs.

PIP is not based on the condition you have or the medication that you take but is based on the level of help you need because of how your condition affects you.

If you have difficulty with walking because of pain or a physical disability you are said to have “mobility needs”. This includes needing help walking outdoors because, for example, you are blind or partially sighted, deaf, suffer from epilepsy or have mental health problems that affect your ability to walk.

You may need an assessment to work out the level of help you get. Your needs will be regularly reassessed to make sure you’re getting the right support.

Full details of eligibility, how to claim and how much PIP you wil receive are available at GOV.UK.

Further information on PIP is available at the following links:

PIP will eventually replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) which is currently paid to people who have daily care needs or difficulty getting about.

From October 2013, people already getting DLA will start getting letters inviting them to claim PIP.

You don't need to do anything until you get a letter.

Information on moving from DLA to PIP is available from CitizensAdvice.

If you found this useful please share it

Start typing and press Enter to search

Shopping Cart