Neighbourhood problems such as disputes with a neighbour or anti social behaviour can be settled in a number of ways - either by taking action yourself, requesting help from Citizens Advice or similar organisations or contacting your landlord, the police or your local authority.


Disputes with a neighbour can arise over a number of issues including:

  • Noise
  • Children
  • Access to neighbours land for repairs
  • Boundary Disputes
  • Repair of shared facilities
  • Parking
  • Trees and Hedges
  • Use of CCTV

A complete guide to Neighbour Disputes is available from Citizens Advice.

Avoiding Disputes

If a problem ever does arise, your neighbours are more likely to talk to you about it if you have established a good relationship with them in the first place and a guide to avoiding neighbour disputes can be found at the Shelter website.

Resolving Disputes

There are several stages to follow if you have a dispute with your neighbour:

1.   Firstly, attempt to sort out the problem by talking to them.

2.   If your neighbour is a tenant, contact their landlord.

3.   Use a mediation service if raising the issue informally doesn’t work.

4.   If the dispute is a noise issue you can complain to your local council.

5.   Contact the police if your neighbour is breaking the law by being violent or harassing you.

6.   As a last resort you can take legal action through the courts.

Advice on how to proceed with each of the stages can be found at GOV.UK.


Anti-social behaviour is persistently acting in a way that causes or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress, for example:

  • Threats or actual violence
  • Racial harassment
  • Verbal abuse
  • Bullying
  • Noise
  • Dumping rubbish
  • Animal nuisance, including dog fouling
  • Vandalism, property damage and graffiti.

A complete guide to the definition of antisocial behaviour and how to deal with it is available at the following links:

If you found this useful please share it

Start typing and press Enter to search

Shopping Cart