If you are already receiving Housing Benefit you may be able to get additional help from your local council if you are struggling to pay your rent.

Discretionary Housing Payment

If you are struggling to pay your rent and you are already receiving Housing Benefit you may be eligible for Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) from your local council..

DHP can provide extra money when your council decides that you need extra help to meet your housing costs.

Your council will look at your circumstances to see whether you are eligible for a DHP. They will decide whether to give you a DHP, how much you will be paid and for how long you will receive the payment.

Who can claim a Discretionary Housing Payment?

Anyone who needs more help with housing costs and is currently claiming:

  • Housing Benefit or
  • Universal Credit with housing costs towards rental liability

You cannot get a DHP to help with council tax, although some councils run similar funds alongside their local Council Tax Support schemes.

The government has given councils funding to give DHPs to people who have been impacted by welfare reforms including:

  • the benefit cap
  • removal of the spare room subsidy in the social rented sector
  • changes to Local Housing Allowance  rates, including the 4 year freeze

Some people may qualify for longer term support.

How can a payment be used?

You may be given a DHP to cover housing costs, such as:

  • a rent shortfall, for example, as a result of welfare reforms, see Applying for DHP
  • rent deposits or rent in advance if you need to move home

How do I make a claim?

This will depend on your council. You can find their contact details on letters from them, or check at www.gov.uk.

More Information

More information on DHP is available is available at the following links:

If you found this useful please share it

Start typing and press Enter to search

Shopping Cart