If you use your credit card to buy something, such as goods or a holiday costing over £100 and up to £30,000, you’re covered by ‘section 75’ of the Consumer Credit Act.

Under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 your  credit card company shares equal responsibility for the goods or service supplied with the retailer or trader whether bought online, by telephone or mail order for delivery to the UK from overseas. This allows you to also put your claim to the credit card company as well as the supplier.

You can make a claim to both the retailer and credit card provider simultaneously.

This is particularly useful if the retailer or trader has gone bust, or doesn't respond to your letters or phone calls.

If your partner has a credit card and has added you as an additional cardholder, it's usually best to get the main cardholder (your partner) to make any big purchases, rather than using the extra card yourself.

If you have been unable to obtain a refund from the supplier under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 your card provider will have to refund your money if:

  • A purchase does not arrive
  • The company you buy from ceases trading
  • Goods or services are not as described or are in an unsatisfactory condition
  • You are charged more than agreed for a purchase or are charged more than once

Section 75 only applies if you buy something that costs between £100 and £30,000.

You don’t need to pay the full price by credit card as paying the deposit is enough to get you the legal protection.

Section 75 also applies to purchases made by store cards, hire purchase agreements and some other credit agreements, as long as the goods are worth between £100 and £30,000.

Section 75 does not apply to purchases made by debit card, prepaid card or charge cards (where all charges must be settled at the end of the month).


Purchases made on debit, prepaid cards or chargecards and purchases made on credit cards that are less than £100 or more than £30,000 may be eligible for Chargeback.

An explanation of how chargeback and section 75 protection work for your credit and debit card and full details of how to make a claim  are available at the MAG page Chargeback.

Making a Sextion 75 Claim

A template letter to make a claim under Section 75 from a credit provider is available from citizensadvice.

Additional template letters are available as followsL

If you found this useful please share it

Start typing and press Enter to search

Shopping Cart