facebook twitter
My Advice Gateway

My Advice Gateway is a free resource to help you quickly find the information you need to claim benefits, access help and support or look for a job or training opportunities. Other services include sections on banking, insurance and how to manage debt.

There is so much information available on the internet that it can often be a tedious and time consuming activity to search through the mass of advice that is available in order to find the information you need. Even government websites that have been set up to provide help can be difficult to find your way around.

My Advice Gateway has been built to help you find the information you need quickly and effectively. Links will take you to authoritative advice or the precise application form you need.

We hope you will find My Advice Gateway useful. If you do, why not tell your friends. . .


LHS provides a complete range of web-based housing option services to more than 60 local authorities and hundreds of housing associations across the UK.


My Advice Gateway constantly checks its links to other information sources to ensure they work properly.

However, if you do find a link that does not connect, please let us know so that we can fix it quickly.

Simply drop us an e-mail and tell us which link did not work. We will check it out and put it right.

E-mail: info@myadvicegateway.com




How you will be paid

UC is a single payment that is paid monthly.

You may have to wait for up to 5 weeks for your first payment.

You may be able to get a Universal Credit advance if you are unable to manage during this period.

To receive UC and other benefits, you’ll need to have a bank or building society account or an account with an alternative provider like a credit union. The account must be in your name and NOT a savings account.

Your Universal Credit payment is normally paid directly into your account.

Full details of how and when your UC will be paid are available from GOV.UK.

Further information can be found at the following links:

Alternative Payment Arrangements

If you are struggling with monthly payments or having trouble managing your money you can request to be paid more frequently e.g. twice a month.

Information on how to request an alternative payment arrangement is available from entitledto.

Managing your money

To make sure you're ready for the introduction of Universal Credit, follow these links to The Money Advice Service:

A guide "Universal Credit: help with managing your money" including a Personal Planner is available at dwp.gov.uk.

Basic Bank Accounts

The Government has come to a new agreement with the banking industry which will mean that basic bank accounts are ‘fee-free’ which should help to improve financial inclusion and increase access to banking services.

This is particularly important for those who are likely to claim Universal Credit in the future.

Universal Credit needs to be paid into a transactional bank account and claimants will need to be able to make payments for rent and other bills. Removing charges for failed direct debits or standing orders should reduce the risks associated with using these payment methods.

Full details of the agreement are available at GOV.UK

More information on Basic Bank Accounts can be found at at MAG - Basic Bank Accouts.

Further Information

Detailed information on specific aspects of UC can be found in the following MAG Sections: