facebook twitter
My Advice Gateway

My Advice Gateway is a free resource to help you quickly find the information you need to claim benefits, access help and support or look for a job or training opportunities. Other services include sections on banking, insurance and how to manage debt.

There is so much information available on the internet that it can often be a tedious and time consuming activity to search through the mass of advice that is available in order to find the information you need. Even government websites that have been set up to provide help can be difficult to find your way around.

My Advice Gateway has been built to help you find the information you need quickly and effectively. Links will take you to authoritative advice or the precise application form you need.

We hope you will find My Advice Gateway useful. If you do, why not tell your friends. . .


LHS provides a complete range of web-based housing option services to more than 60 local authorities and hundreds of housing associations across the UK.


My Advice Gateway constantly checks its links to other information sources to ensure they work properly.

However, if you do find a link that does not connect, please let us know so that we can fix it quickly.

Simply drop us an e-mail and tell us which link did not work. We will check it out and put it right.

E-mail: info@myadvicegateway.com




Universal Support

UC claimants can get help to make a claim and to manage their payments. This help is called Universal Support and includes: 

  • Assisted Digital Support - help with using a computer to make or maintain your claim
  • Personal Budgeting Support -help to manage your monthly Universal Credit payment and advice on your finances.

Universal Support is delivered by individual local authorities, funded by grants from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Full details of Universal Support are availabe from GOV.UK.

From April 2019, Citizens Advice will take on the responsibility for delivering a strengthened Universal Support service, with the aim of ensuring a consistent and streamlined service for new claimants across the country.

Universal Credit Advances

When you first make a claim for UC you will have to wait around five weeks for your first payment.

If you don’t have enough to live on while you wait for your first payment, for example, if you can’t afford to pay your rent or buy food, you may be able to get an advance of your first UC payment.

The most you can get as an advance is the amount of your first estimated payment. 

The Advance Payment is a loan which you have to pay back from your UC payments. You can choose how many months you require to pay back the advance up to a maximum of 12 months.

Full details of Universal Credit Advances are available from GOV.UK.

Further information is available at the following links:

Budgeting Advance 

You can also apply for a Budgeting Advance to help pay for emergency household costs (for example buying a new cooker or for help getting a job or staying in work).

A Budgeting Advance is a loan, and you’ll need to repay it through your regular UCt payments or by other means. 

You will normally have to repay the loan within 2 years (104 weeks) and if you stop getting benefits, you will have to arrange another way to repay.

Full details of Budgeting Advance are available from GOV.UK.

Interest on Advances

You do not pay any interest on a Universal Credit Advance or on a Budgeting Advance - the total amount you pay back is the same as the amount of the advance.

Further Information

Detailed information on specific aspects of UC can be found in the following MAG Sections: