facebook twitter
My Advice Gateway

My Advice Gateway is a free resource to help you quickly find the information you need to claim benefits, access help and support or look for a job or training opportunities. Other services include sections on banking, insurance and how to manage debt.

There is so much information available on the internet that it can often be a tedious and time consuming activity to search through the mass of advice that is available in order to find the information you need. Even government websites that have been set up to provide help can be difficult to find your way around.

My Advice Gateway has been built to help you find the information you need quickly and effectively. Links will take you to authoritative advice or the precise application form you need.

We hope you will find My Advice Gateway useful. If you do, why not tell your friends. . .


LHS provides a complete range of web-based housing option services to more than 60 local authorities and hundreds of housing associations across the UK.


My Advice Gateway constantly checks its links to other information sources to ensure they work properly.

However, if you do find a link that does not connect, please let us know so that we can fix it quickly.

Simply drop us an e-mail and tell us which link did not work. We will check it out and put it right.

E-mail: info@myadvicegateway.com




If you use your credit card to buy goods or services costing over £100 and up to £30,000, you are protected by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

The  credit card company shares equal responsibility for the goods or service supplied with the retailer or trader whether bought online, by telephone or mail order for delivery to the UK from overseas. This allows you to also put your claim to the credit card company as well as the supplier.

You can make a claim to both the retailer and credit card provider simultaneously.

This is particularly useful if the retailer or trader has gone bust, or doesn't respond to your letters or phone calls.

If your partner has a credit card and has added you as an additional cardholder, it's usually best to get the main cardholder (your partner) to make any big purchases, rather than using the extra card yourself.

If you have been unable to obtain a refund from the supplier, under Section 75 your card provider will have to refund your money if:

  • A purchase does not arrive
  • The company you buy from ceases trading
  • Goods or services are not as described or are in an unsatisfactory condition
  • You are charged more than agreed for a purchase or are charged more than once

Section 75 only applies if you buy something that costs between £100 and £30,000.

You don’t need to pay the full price by credit card as paying the deposit is enough to get you the legal protection.

Section 75 also applies to purchases made by store cards, hire purchase agreements and some other credit agreements, as long as the goods are worth between £100 and £30,000.

Section 75 does not apply to purchases made by debit card, prepaid card or charge cards (where all charges must be settled at the end of the month).

However, purchases made on debit, prepaid cards or chargecards and purchases made on credit cards that are less than £100 or more than £30,000 may be eligible for Chargeback.

An explanation of Section 75 and full details of how to make a claim  are available at the following links:

A template letter to make a claim under Secttion 75 from a credit provider is available from citizensadvice.

Additional template letters are available as followsL