facebook twitter
My Advice Gateway

My Advice Gateway is a free resource to help you quickly find the information you need to claim benefits, access help and support or look for a job or training opportunities. Other services include sections on banking, insurance and how to manage debt.

There is so much information available on the internet that it can often be a tedious and time consuming activity to search through the mass of advice that is available in order to find the information you need. Even government websites that have been set up to provide help can be difficult to find your way around.

My Advice Gateway has been built to help you find the information you need quickly and effectively. Links will take you to authoritative advice or the precise application form you need.

We hope you will find My Advice Gateway useful. If you do, why not tell your friends. . .


LHS provides a complete range of web-based housing option services to more than 60 local authorities and hundreds of housing associations across the UK.


My Advice Gateway constantly checks its links to other information sources to ensure they work properly.

However, if you do find a link that does not connect, please let us know so that we can fix it quickly.

Simply drop us an e-mail and tell us which link did not work. We will check it out and put it right.

E-mail: info@myadvicegateway.com




If you are already receiving Housing Benefit you may be able to get additional help from your local council if you are struggling to pay your rent.

Claiming Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) can provide extra money when your council decides that you need extra help to meet your housing costs.

Your council will look at your circumstances to see whether you are eligible for a DHP. They will decide whether to give you a DHP, how much you will be paid and for how long you will receive the payment.

Who can claim a Discretionary Housing Payment?

Anyone who needs more help with housing costs and is currently claiming:

  • Housing Benefit or
  • Universal Credit with housing costs towards rental liability

You cannot get a DHP to help with council tax, although some councils run similar funds alongside their local Council Tax Support schemes.

The government has given councils funding to give DHPs to people who have been impacted by welfare reforms including:

  • the benefit cap
  • removal of the spare room subsidy in the social rented sector
  • changes to Local Housing Allowance  rates, including the 4 year freeze

Some people may qualify for longer term support.

How can a payment be used?

You may be given a DHP to cover housing costs, such as:

  • rent deposits or rent in advance if you need to move home

How do I make a claim?

This will depend on your council. You can find their contact details on letters from them, or check at –www.gov.uk/find-your-local-council.

More Information

More information on DHP is available is available at the following links: