facebook twitter
My Advice Gateway

My Advice Gateway is a free resource to help you quickly find the information you need to claim benefits, access help and support or look for a job or training opportunities. Other services include sections on banking, insurance and how to manage debt.

There is so much information available on the internet that it can often be a tedious and time consuming activity to search through the mass of advice that is available in order to find the information you need. Even government websites that have been set up to provide help can be difficult to find your way around.

My Advice Gateway has been built to help you find the information you need quickly and effectively. Links will take you to authoritative advice or the precise application form you need.

We hope you will find My Advice Gateway useful. If you do, why not tell your friends. . .


LHS provides a complete range of web-based housing option services to more than 60 local authorities and hundreds of housing associations across the UK.


My Advice Gateway constantly checks its links to other information sources to ensure they work properly.

However, if you do find a link that does not connect, please let us know so that we can fix it quickly.

Simply drop us an e-mail and tell us which link did not work. We will check it out and put it right.

E-mail: info@myadvicegateway.com




If you have a problem with an item or a service and you consider that your rights have been breached there are several options available to you depending on the nature of the problem including making a requesting a replacement or a refund, making a complaint and taking legal action.

The most common actions you can take are:

  • Request a refund
  • Request a repair or replacement
  • Refuse to pay for a service
  • What to do if you change your mind
  • What to do if trader has stopped trading

Detailed information of what to do for each of these options is avialable from citizensadvice.


To make a successful complaint it is important to follow the correct steps.

A complete guide to How to Complain including an online complaints tool and sample letters is available from MoneySavingExpert.

For a complete guide to your rights concerning faulty goods follow this link.

Making a claim

Detailed information to help you make a claim if something goes wrong with something you have bought, is avaliable at the following links:

Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)

If you have been unable to resolve a problem by dealing directly with the trader you can ask an independent person to look at your consumer problem and try and find a solution.

This is known as Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) and refers to ways of resolving disputes between consumers and traders that don’t involve going to court.

Common forms of ADR are:

  • mediation, where an independent third party helps the disputing parties to come to a mutually acceptable outcome
  • arbitration, where an independent third party considers the facts and takes a decision that’s often binding on one or both parties

Full details of solving an ongoing problem including how to use ADR services are available from citizensadvice.

Taking Legal Action

If your complaint to the trader has not been resolved, you may have the option of taking them to the Small Claims Court to try and get what you want.

Detailed information of what to consider and how to proceed are available at the following links:

Sample Letters

To help you take action on your consumer problem a range of interactive sample letters are available for download at the following links: