facebook twitter
My Advice Gateway

My Advice Gateway is a free resource to help you quickly find the information you need to claim benefits, access help and support or look for a job or training opportunities. Other services include sections on banking, insurance and how to manage debt.

There is so much information available on the internet that it can often be a tedious and time consuming activity to search through the mass of advice that is available in order to find the information you need. Even government websites that have been set up to provide help can be difficult to find your way around.

My Advice Gateway has been built to help you find the information you need quickly and effectively. Links will take you to authoritative advice or the precise application form you need.

We hope you will find My Advice Gateway useful. If you do, why not tell your friends. . .


LHS provides a complete range of web-based housing option services to more than 60 local authorities and hundreds of housing associations across the UK.


My Advice Gateway constantly checks its links to other information sources to ensure they work properly.

However, if you do find a link that does not connect, please let us know so that we can fix it quickly.

Simply drop us an e-mail and tell us which link did not work. We will check it out and put it right.

E-mail: info@myadvicegateway.com




Buying Goods and Services

There are various ways that you can buy goods and services and your statutory rights can vary depending on the way that you have purchased something.

Detailed advice on the specific buying options and an explanation of your rights are available at the following links:

Paying by Credit or Debit Card

If you buy goods or services on your credit or debit card, you have extra protection if things go wrong compared with paying by cash or cheque.

Credit cards have the greatest protection, as you can make a claim against your card provider under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

The  credit card company shares equal responsibility for the goods or service supplied with the retailer or trader whether bought online, by telephone or mail order for delivery to the UK from overseas. This allows you to also put your claim to the credit card company as well as the supplier.

If you pay by debit card, charge card or prepaid card you may be able to make a Chargeback request to your card provider.

Full details of what is covered and how to make a claim are available from:

Payments using Third Party payment services

Often, particularly when making a purchase on-line, the company that handles your credit or debit card payment is not the same as the one that provides the goods or service.

If you use this method of third party payment you may be able to claim under Section 75 for any misrepresentation or breach of contract.

Paypal is the most widely used third party payment facilitator and offers its own buyer protection scheme, called PayPal Buyer Protection.