facebook twitter
My Advice Gateway

My Advice Gateway is a free resource to help you quickly find the information you need to claim benefits, access help and support or look for a job or training opportunities. Other services include sections on banking, insurance and how to manage debt.

There is so much information available on the internet that it can often be a tedious and time consuming activity to search through the mass of advice that is available in order to find the information you need. Even government websites that have been set up to provide help can be difficult to find your way around.

My Advice Gateway has been built to help you find the information you need quickly and effectively. Links will take you to authoritative advice or the precise application form you need.

We hope you will find My Advice Gateway useful. If you do, why not tell your friends. . .


LHS provides a complete range of web-based housing option services to more than 60 local authorities and hundreds of housing associations across the UK.


My Advice Gateway constantly checks its links to other information sources to ensure they work properly.

However, if you do find a link that does not connect, please let us know so that we can fix it quickly.

Simply drop us an e-mail and tell us which link did not work. We will check it out and put it right.

E-mail: info@myadvicegateway.com




When you open a new bank account, your bank or building society will give you information and details on how best to manage your finances. On this page are some simple general explanations of account features and what you can do to keep in control of your monetary transactions.

You are responsible for managing your own money so it is important you keep your financial affairs safe and in order, one simple practical way of doing this is investing in a file in which you can keep statements, letters and information your chosen bank may send you. Any personal data that you no longer need should be shredded to protect against identity fraud.

For more information go to the MyAdviceGateway page Identity Theft & Fraud.

Most accounts will send you monthly, quarterly or yearly statements by post so you can keep track of the payments in and out of your account, your available balance, interest levels and your overdraft details. If you have online banking, you can arrange for statements to be received online. It is important to check your statements and report anything that seems wrong.

If you have passbook - every time you use your account for a transaction a record will be made in your passbook, including interest payments. Be aware that if you have a passbook you may not automatically receive statements, making it very easy to go overdrawn – banks and building societies usually supply statements for free so it is well worth requesting them.

For information on paying money into your account, follow this link.

For details on paying money out of your account, follow this link.

For advice on overdrafts, and what to do about unauthorised overdrafts, follow this link.

For an overview on managing your bank account, follow this link.

To find out your rights when opening or using a bank account, and how to solve some common problems, follow this link.

To find out your rights when switching a current account to another bank or building society, follow this link.

If you have incurred excessive overdraft charges or other bank fees, there’s a chance you could get a refund. Follow this link for more details.

A guide to what to do if you feel that you are not getting the service that you expect from your bank or Building Society or if you have a specific complaint is avaible from The Money Advice Service

A template letters (requiring MS Word) is available - Letter of complaint to your bank or building society

If you require advice and help settling a complaint about your bank, follow this link to the Financial Ombudsman Service, or click here for their Frequently Asked Questions page.