facebook twitter
My Advice Gateway

My Advice Gateway is a free resource to help you quickly find the information you need to claim benefits, access help and support or look for a job or training opportunities. Other services include sections on banking, insurance and how to manage debt.

There is so much information available on the internet that it can often be a tedious and time consuming activity to search through the mass of advice that is available in order to find the information you need. Even government websites that have been set up to provide help can be difficult to find your way around.

My Advice Gateway has been built to help you find the information you need quickly and effectively. Links will take you to authoritative advice or the precise application form you need.

We hope you will find My Advice Gateway useful. If you do, why not tell your friends. . .


LHS provides a complete range of web-based housing option services to more than 60 local authorities and hundreds of housing associations across the UK.


My Advice Gateway constantly checks its links to other information sources to ensure they work properly.

However, if you do find a link that does not connect, please let us know so that we can fix it quickly.

Simply drop us an e-mail and tell us which link did not work. We will check it out and put it right.

E-mail: info@myadvicegateway.com




Jobseeker’s Allowance

Jobseeker’s Allowance is the main benefit for people who are unemployed but are capable of working and are looking for a job.

In order to qualify you must be able to start a job straight away. You must be available and actively looking for work and you will have to go to your local Jobcentre regularly to prove this.

You must have a jobseeker’s agreement. This will set out the things you’ve agreed to do to find work.

You must meet regularly with a Jobcentre Plus adviser to show that you’re able to start work and that you looking for a job as defined in your jobseeker's agreement.

There are three types of Jobseeker’s Allowance

  • Income-based JSA
  • Contribution-based JSA
  • New Style JSA

Which one you are eligible for will depend on your circumstances.

New style JSA is Contribution-based JSA which is claimed after Universal Credit Full Digital Service has been introduced in your local area.  All new claims for Contribution-based JSA will be claims for New Style JSA.

Full details of each of the Jobseekers Allowances, eligibility, how to claim and how much you will receive are available at GOV.UK. 

You have to agree to a ‘Claimant Commitment’ if you want to claim JSA. This is an agreement that you’ll complete certain tasks, e.g. make a work plan.

In order to claim either type of Jobseeker’s Allowance you can apply on-line here or you can phone Jobcentre Plus on 0800 055 6688.

If you are claiming Jobseeker's Allowance, you must take part in certain schemes if you are advised to do so by a personal adviser. Your benefit may be affected if you refuse to do so or leave a scheme before completing it.

The Work Experience programme is voluntary to join, but it becomes compulsory after you have accepted an offer of a place.

Find a Job is DWP’s free online job posting and matching service.

It is not mandatory for you, the claimant, to give access to your Find a Job account. Access can only be granted voluntarily by you by ticking a box in your Find a Job profile.

Find a Job replaced previous vacancy management services (Universal Jobmatch).

Benefit Cap & Universal Credit

Job Seekers Allowance counts towards the Benefit Cap. Your Housing Benefit may go down to make sure that the total amount of benefit you get isn’t more than the cap level.

For details on the Benefits Cap follow this link.

From April 2013 a new benefit, Universal Credit (UC), has started to replace many existing benefits and tax credits.

UC is currently being rolled out to certain areas across the UK.

Depending where you live and what your personal circumstances are, you might be able to claim UC instead of Jobseekers Allowance.

For a full explanation of Universal Credit follow this link.