facebook twitter
My Advice Gateway

My Advice Gateway is a free resource to help you quickly find the information you need to claim benefits, access help and support or look for a job or training opportunities. Other services include sections on banking, insurance and how to manage debt.

There is so much information available on the internet that it can often be a tedious and time consuming activity to search through the mass of advice that is available in order to find the information you need. Even government websites that have been set up to provide help can be difficult to find your way around.

My Advice Gateway has been built to help you find the information you need quickly and effectively. Links will take you to authoritative advice or the precise application form you need.

We hope you will find My Advice Gateway useful. If you do, why not tell your friends. . .


LHS provides a complete range of web-based housing option services to more than 60 local authorities and hundreds of housing associations across the UK.


My Advice Gateway constantly checks its links to other information sources to ensure they work properly.

However, if you do find a link that does not connect, please let us know so that we can fix it quickly.

Simply drop us an e-mail and tell us which link did not work. We will check it out and put it right.

E-mail: info@myadvicegateway.com




Council Tax Reduction

From 1st April, 2013 Council Tax Benefit was replaced nationally by a local support scheme and renamed the Local Council Tax Reduction Scheme (CTR) – also known as Council Tax Support - which is a means tested benefit.

If you pay Council Tax and you are on a low income and do not have too much capital, you may be eligible for Council Tax Reduction. Your local authority may set its own capital limit for people of working age which is likely to be £16,000 or less. If you're a pensioner the capital limit is £16000.

You can apply whether you rent or own your home, or even live rent-free.

You may also get additional help called “Second Adult Rebate” if you share your home with a person who is also on a low income and not paying you rent. That person cannot be your partner and must be aged 18 or over, but will not be paying Council Tax themselves.

Full details of Council Tax Reduction are available at the following links:

If you are eligible for Council Tax Reduction you will not receive money. Instead, your Council Tax bill will be reduced and you'll get a new bill showing the reduced amount of Council Tax you have to pay.

To apply for Council Tax Reduction from your local council at GOV.UK.

For full details on Council Tax go to the MyAdviceGateway Council Tax page.

A complete "Guide to Council Tax Support" is available from ageuk.

Details of local & national council tax resources, and independent advice agencies in your area are available from CouncilTaxHelp.

Discounts for disabled people

The Disabled Band Reduction Scheme makes sure disabled people don’t pay more Council Tax if they need:

  • a bigger property
  • to adapt their home because of their disability

You can apply for Council Tax Discount from your local council at GOV.UK.

People who are severely mentally impaired and some live-in carers are exempt when working out Council Tax. Full details are available at GOV.UK.